The Frugal Gourmet’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This tiramisu recipe is reportedly a variation of the one by the famous Jeff Smith on The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. This recipe makes 8 servings.
- [b]Ingredients: Filling[/b]
- ESPRESSO, OR TRIPLE-STRENGTH COFFEE, 1/2 cup, room temperature
- SUGAR, 1/2 cup
- BRANDY, 1/4 cup
- EGG YOLKS, 2
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 1 pound
- LADYFINGERS, 1/2-pound package
- SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE, 4 ounces shaved
- Ingredients: Icing[/b]
- WHIPPING CREAM, fresh, 1 cup
- VANILLA, 1/4 teaspoon
- POWDERED SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
- Ingredients: Garnishes[/b]
- COCOA POWDER, for dusting
- SHAVED CHOCOLATE
- Line the inside of a loaf pan with large sheet wax paper.
- Stir espresso, sugar and brandy in mixing bowl until sugar dissolves. Reserve 1/3 cup.
- Whisk egg yolks into this, and add the cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- One at a time, soak ladyfingers in reserved coffee (don’t oversoak). Place crosswise in pan, trimming if necessary to layer bottom completely..
- Spread on half of cheese mixture, then half of shaved chocolate.
- Repeat with ladyfingers, then remaining cheese, then rest of chocolate.
- Cover with remaining ladyfingers.
- Bring up flaps of wax paper, Wrap pan in plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours.
- When serving, invert pan on serving platter, tapping bottom to remove “loaf.” Remove paper.
- Whip whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar together until stiff. Spread over the “loaf.”
- Dust with shaved chocolate.