Taryn and Mary’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Mary Kearny writes: “My daughter and I tried the Williams-Sonoma Tiramisu recipe from your site and were a bit disappointed with the results. We altered the recipe and it’s sublime! Taryn is a 14-year-old aspiring chef; she’s awesome.”
- EGG YOLKS, 6
- VANILLA SUGAR, 3/4 cup
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, softened, 1 pound
- HEAVY CREAM, 1 pint
- WHITE RUM, 2 tbs
- VANILLA EXTRACT, 1 tsp
- SWEETENED ESPRESSO, 2 to 3 cups, with 1 tbs of white rum added
- EGG WHITES, 5
- LADYFINGERS, 24
- COCOA POWDER
- In a mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick ribbons fall from the whisk.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth and creamy.
- In a chilled bowl, beat the cream to stiff peaks.
- Add the rum, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of espresso and beat until smooth
- Gently fold the cream into the cheese mixture.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- One at a time, dip the un-sugared side of the ladyfingers in the remaining espresso and use them to line the bottom of a 6-quart baking or serving dish (E-Z Foil brand with the clear plastic lids work great).
- Spread all of the cheese mixture over the top and smooth out with a spatula.
- Dust the top of the dish with a coating of cocoa powder, creating a dark topping.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.