Steve Ullman’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Steve Ullman is a musical theater producer who lives near the beach in Venice, California and prepares his family recipe for Tiramisu. This recipe was featured on Food TV’s “Calling All Cooks.”
- EGGS, 2 whole + 2 yolks
- SUGAR, 12 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 500 grams (1 large tub)
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, 1 cup
- SALT, pinch
- MARSALA WINE, 10 tablespoons
- ESPRESSO, 2 cups, plus more if needed
- LADYFINGERS, 1 large package (4 sleeves of 12 biscuits)
- SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE, 1 cup chopped or grated
- Place the 2 eggs and 2 whole egg yolks in an electric mixer bowl and add approximately 8 tablespoons of sugar.
- With whisk attachment beat until the mixture forms a good ribbon (should nearly have soft peaks).
- Once the correct consistency is achieved, whisk in the Mascarpone cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream along with 2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Once hard peaks form, add the whipped cream to the egg/Mascarpone mixture and beat until smooth, adding approximately 2 tablespoons Marsala.
- In a separate bowl, pour the hot espresso and add 2 tablespoons sugar and 8 tablespoons Marsala.
- One at a time, quickly dip each biscuit in the espresso mixture and then place on the bottom of a 9 by 13 glass baking pan. Continue until you have an entire layer of biscuits on the bottom of the pan. (Note of Caution: Dip quickly or biscuits will become soggy.)
- Using a spatula spread half of the mascarpone cream over the biscuits. Repeat the process above to make a second layer. This should fill the pan.
- Refrigerate 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Grate the chocolate over the top.