Stand-Up-Flip-Over’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
“SUFO” stands for “Stand Up Flip Over” cookbook, a handy format that makes it easy to read the recipe while you are preparing the food. This is from a collection of Northern Italian recipes. The editors recommend using a transparent dish (glass or otherwise) so that the various layers will be visible. They also recommend using brewed coffee rather than the instant variety. They call the taste “unbeatable.” Preparation time is 20 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
- STRONG BLACK COFFEE, 2/3 cup
- EGGS, medium, 3 separated
- SUPERFINE SUGAR, 3 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 1-1/4 cups
- BRANDY OR DARK RUM, or your choice of any other liqueur, 1/4 cup
- LADYFINGERS, 26 to 32
- COCOA POWDER, for dusting
- Brew the coffee and let it cool.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale, light and creamy.
- Soften the mascarpone cheese in a bown and gradually stir in the egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, then gently fold the beaten whites into the mascarpone mixture with a metal spoon.
- Mix the cooled coffee with the liqueur.
- Quickly dip both sides of each ladyfinger into the liquid.
- Arrange the ladyfingers in a layer at the bottom of a 2-1/2 pint dish and spoon some of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle a fine layer of cocoa powder over the top.
- Continue with alternating layers of dipped ladyfingers, mascarpone mixture, and a fine layer of cocoa powder, until all the ingredients are used up.
- Finish with a layer of mascarpone and sprinkle the top with a fine layer of cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate at least 3 to 4 hours before serving.