Specialty Baker’s Classic Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe is from Specialty Bakers, 450 S. State Rd., Marysville, PA 17053 ( 1-800-755-9890 ). It was published to promote their ladyfingers. They call themselves “The Ladyfinger Specialist Since 1901.” Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- EGG YOLKS, 6
- SUGAR, 1-1/4 cups
- MASCARPONE, -1-1/4 cup
- HEAVY OR WHIPPING CREAM, 1-3/4 cup + 1/2 cup
- LADYFINGERS, 2 packages, (3 ounces each)
- COFFEE LIQUEUR OR BRANDIED ESPRESSO, 1/3 cup
- CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR, unsifted, 1 tablespoon
- VANILLA EXTRACT, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- COCOA POWDER, unsweetened, for garnish
- CHOCOLATE CURLS, enough to garnish
- In a small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored, about 1 minute.
- Place in top of double boiler over boiling water.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add mascarpone cheese, beating well.
- In small mixer bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into egg yolk mixture; set aside.
- Line bottom and side of 2-1/2 to 3-quart bowl or souffle dish with ladyfinger halves, split sides up.
- Brush with coffee liqueur or Brandied Expresso (directions follow).
- Spoon half of egg yolk-cream mixture into ladyfinger-lined bowl.
- Repeat ladyfingers, espresso and cream layers.
- Garnish with Sweetened Whipped Cream (directions follow), cocoa and chocolate curls.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Mascarpone Cheese Substitute
- [/b]Extra ingredients needed: 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, and 2 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, and heavy or whipping cream until blended and fluffy.
- Brandied Espresso
- [/b]Extra ingredients needed: 1/3-cup hot water, 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, 1 teaspoon brandy.
- In small bowl, combine hot water and instant coffee granules.
- Stir until coffee is dissolved.
- Blend in brandy.
- Sweetened Whipped Cream
- [/b]In small mixer bowl, combine 1/2-cup heavy or whipping cream, 1 tablespoon unsifted confectioners’ sugar, and 1/4-teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.