Sophia Loren’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Sophia Loren was Bill Bogg’s guest on the April 20 “Bill Bogg’s Corner Table” show on the Food TV Network. A few minutes were spent talking about her new book, Sophia Loren’s Recipes (Memories GT Publishing) and how tiramisu is the perfect “date food”. Her recipe serves 8.
- EGGS, 3 separated
- SUGAR, 5 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 6 ounces
- LADYFINGERS, 1 large package (approximately 36)
- ORANGE LIQUEUR, 1 cup
- ESPRESSO COFFEE, 1 cup
- BITTER CHOCOLATE, 2 ounces, grated
- UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER, 1/2 cup, or 2 ounces grated bittersweet chocolate
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a third, larger bowl, combine the egg yolk mixture with the mascarpone, then fold in the egg whites to produce a creamy mixture.
- Arrange a tight layer of ladyfingers in a 9-by-12-inch serving dish.
- Using a spoon, drizzle about half the liqueur and half the espresso over the ladyfingers.
- Cover the ladyfingers with the mascarpone mixture and the grated chocolate, and dust it with a little more than half the cocoa.
- Cover the filling with a second layer of ladyfingers and drizzle with the remaining liqueur and espresso.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours (the Tiramisu can be made 24 hours in advance).
- Top with the remaining cocoa before serving.