Sergio’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe is from a frequent Tiramisu website visitor, Sergio Cella, who promised to share his no-liquor recipe with you. He makes good his promise. Sergio recommends using a Lavazza coffee blend available at some gourmet shops. He also notes that this Tiramisu will even be better if made a day in advance because the kind of cookies used. And, even if no liquor was used, this is not intended in any way as an “healthy version.” Makes 4 to 6.
- EGG WHITES, 3
- EGG YOLKS, 5
- SUGAR, 6-1/2 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE, 16 ounces
- PETITE BEURRE COOKIES, 7 oz package (LOU or Peek Freans brand)
- ESPRESSO (or home-made “3 SERVING MOKA”) COFFEE, 1 cup, room temperature (best with Lavazza coffee blend)
- BITTERSWEET SWISS CHOCOLATE, 3 ounces
- Have the espresso (or “moca” made) coffee available in a dip dish. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Shave (or grate) the chocolate from the block, with 3/4 of it in little chops and 1/4 finer.
- Separate the eggs yolks from the whites.
- Place 3 egg whites into a mixing bowl and the 5 yolks into a dip dish.
- Whisk the egg whites to thick-lather
- Add the 5 yolks and all the sugar while continuing to whisk.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and continue whisking.
- Add the shaved chocolate chops and continue whisking until mixture becomes smooth.
- In the large bowl (or pan) layer the bottom with the mix.
- Quickly soak the petite beurre cookies (several at time) into the espresso (Don’t leave them in too long. Do not over-soak!)
- Lay the soaked cookies on the mix in the pan and cover them with another layer of mix.
- Repeat laying sequence until the bowl (or pan) is almost full finishing with a thick layer of mix. Do not top or over-fill the bowl (or pan).
- Dust the top layer with the fine shaved chocolate (or bittersweet cocoa powder).
- Wrap the top of the bowl with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator one hour before serving.
- To serve from the bowl (or pan) use a large spoon.