Sarah’s Nut Crust Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe is from Sarah, who posted it on the NMCS forum (whatever NMCS is). She uses raw eggs, but includes a warning to use a reputable supplier. She substitutes the nuts for the ladyfingers. Sarah notes: “I have replaced sugar with sweetner and cut down the higher carbohydrate liquors. The main source of carbohydrates is now the chocolate. I managed to find a bitter couverture that was 25% carbohydrates by weight, but many are 50% or more. Because this uses a sweetner, you have to beat the eggs a bit longer. I doubt you would get a stiff result if you didn’t use an added-volume sweetner like Nutrasweet/maltodextrin, so that’s why it’s in there despite the added carbohydrates. All in all, I think it’s low-carbohydrate enough for a maintenance dessert.” Makes 10 servings.
- ALMONDS, 4 ounces, ground
- HAZELNUTS, 4 ounces, ground
- STRONG DECAFFEINATED COFFEE, 1 cup cooled
- EGGS, 6 separated
- SWEETENER (Nutrasweet/maltodextrin mix), 8 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE, 1 pound
- MARSALA WINE, 2 tablespoons
- BRANDY, 3 tablespoons
- ORANGE FLOWER WATER, 1 tablespoon
- BITTER CHOCOLATE, 1/2 pound grated or finely chopped
- Soak the nuts and 2 tablespoons of sweetener in the coffee for a few hours.
- Beat the egg yolks with the remaining sweetener until the yolks turn pale in colour and the mixture gets very fluffy.
- Add the mascarpone and liquid ingredients, and stir gently.
- Beat the egg whites until they are in stiff peaks. Fold them into the mascarpone mixture.
- Take the serving dish and add a layer of half the nuts, then a layer of mascarpone mixture, then finally a sprinkling of chocolate.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.