Rebecca’s Chocolate Banana Tiramisu Recipe
Many thanks to Rebecca, who allowed us to publish her non-egg tiramisu recipe here, as featured on her website, Seasoned With Love. Rebecca writes: “Since I did not want to use raw eggs, I had never made Tiramisu. That was until last week when I decided to substitute bananas for the raw eggs. This is easy to make and perfect in the summer. Once you have all the ingredients it should take about 15 minutes to put together.” Serves 4 to 6. (Rebecca advises that banana flavoring (see “Creamy Banana Filling” below) containing alcohol will curdle the cheese, so if you can’t find alcohol-free banana flavoring, eliminate it altogether.)
Recipe type: Dessert
- LADYFINGERS, one 7-oz package (you will need 16, so you can eat a few)
- DUTCH PROCESSED COCOA POWDER
- WHITE CHOCOLATE, 1 oz shredded
- CHOCOLATE SYRUP
- BANANAS, 2 (one mashed, one sliced)
- Coffee Liquid
- FAT-FREE MILK, ¼ cup
- INSTANT COFFEE GRANULES, 1 tsp
- RUM OR APPLE JUICE, 1 tbs
- GRANULATED SUGAR, 2 tbs
- IMITATION RUM EXTRACT, ¼ tsp
- Creamy Banana Filling
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, one 8-ounce container
- BANANA, 1 mashed (1/2 cup)
- ALCOHOL-FREE BANANA FLAVORING, 1 tsp
- VANILLA EXTRACT, ¼ tsp
- CONFECTIONERS SUGAR, ½ cup
- MERINGUE POWDER, 1 tbs
- Place 16 ladyfingers in a square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix milk, coffee granules, rum or apple juice, granulated sugar and rum extract.
- Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the ladyfingers. Leave to soak.
- In a medium bowl, use a rubber spatula to cream the mascarpone cheese until smooth.
- Stir in banana, flavoring and vanilla.
- Stir in confectioners sugar, then meringue powder.
- Use spatula to “beat” mixture until thickened and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Pour the banana filling into a piping bag or use a large plastic bag and snip one of the corners.
- Place 8 soaked ladyfingers on a serving tray.
- Pipe ½ the banana filling, then sprinkle with a light dusting of Dutch cocoa powder (I use a small sifter)
- Top carefully with 8 more soaked ladyfingers and top with the remaining banana filling.
- Sprinkle with more cocoa powder then top with grated white chocolate.
- Slice banana and carefully place slices close enough to the center so they won’t slide off the edges.
- Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup. Start at one end and drizzle from one side to the other so the chocolate is in stripes across the Tiramisu.
- Refrigerate for ½ hour to an hour.