Mary Bergin’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe was presented by Mary Bergin on the Food TV Network’s “Baker’s Dozen” show. For this recipe, you will need to make a chocolate chiffon cake, the Tiramisu cream, and coffee soaking liquid. She likes to use parfait or Pilsner glasses for this dessert. Makes 12 servings
- Step 1: Make The Chocolate Chiffon Cake:
- GRANULATED SUGAR, 1-1/2 cups
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, 1 cup
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, 3/4 cup
- BAKING POWDER, 2 teaspoons
- BAKING SODA, 1 teaspoon
- SALT, 1/4 teaspoon
- EGGS, 4 separated
- EGG WHITES, 2
- VEGETABLE OIL, 3/4 cup
- WATER, 1/2 cup
- VANILLA EXTRACT, 1 teaspoon
- [b]Step 1: Make The Chocolate Chiffon Cake:Directions[/b]
- Sift together l cup sugar, the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, with paddle or beaters, beat the egg yolks at high speed.
- Turn speed to low and pour in the oil, water and vanilla.
- Gradually add the sifted ingredients, and when almost incorporated, turn speed to medium, and beat until well until combined. Remove bowl from machine.
- In another clean large bowl, with whip or beaters, whip the 6 egg whites until soft peaks form. Start on medium speed and raise speed as peaks begin to form.
- Gradually pour in the remaining l/2 cup sugar and whip until whites are shiny and firm but not stiff.
- With a rubber spatula, fold l/4 of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then scrape the chocolate mixture back into the whites, quickly folding until completely incorporated.
- Scrape the mixture into a greased and floured half-sheet pan and bake until edges of the cake pull away from the pan and a tester, gently inserted into the cake, comes out clean.
- Step 2: Make The Chocolate Mascarpone Cream:
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 21 ounces
- MILK CHOCOLATE, 11-1/2 ounces, cut into small pieces
- EGGS, 8 separated
- GRANULATED SUGAR, l/2 cup
- KAHLUA LIQUEUR, 2 tablespoons
- RUM, 2 tablespoons
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, sifted, for decoration
- MILK CHOCOLATE, coarsely grated, about l/4 cup, for garnish
- [/b]In the large bowl of an electric mixer, using paddle or beaters, beat the mascarpone until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl and under the beaters as necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, set over simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl, set over simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with l/4 cup sugar until sugar dissolved and mixture is hot to the touch.
- Remove from heat and scrape into the mascarpone.
- On medium speed, beat just until combined.
- Lower speed, add the melted chocolate, and mix well.
- In a large bowl of the electric mixer, using the whip attachment, whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add the remaining l/4 cup sugar and continue to beat until shiny and firm but not stiff.
- Fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Stir in the Kahlua and rum.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Step 3: Make The Soaking Liquid:
- ESPRESSO COFFEE, 4 cups decaffeinated or regular
- WATER, l- l/4 cups
- SUGAR, l cup
- KAHLUA LIQUERE, 3 tablespoons
- RUM, 3 tablespoons
- [/b]In a small pot, combine all of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Step 4: Assemble The Tiramisu:Directions
- Place all of the glasses on a flat work surface.
- Cut out cake circles that will fit into the size glass you’re using.
- Using a ladle, place a small amount of Mascarpone cream in the glass, dip a cake circle in the soaking liquid (squeeze out any excess) and place on top of the cream.
- Ladle more cream on top of the circle, place another soaked circle of cake and finish with a layer of cream.
- Repeat this with all of the glasses.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or until set.
- Decorate with grated milk chocolate and sifted cocoa.