Mark Grimshaw’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Mark Grimshaw has an Italian Cuisine Website that’s in the growing stages. But, he does have some recipes online, including the following Tiramisu recipe. You might want to visit it. Instead of lady fingers, he substitutes trifle sponges and Amaretti biscuits. He also eliminates the egg whites. Serves 6 (or as Mark says, “4 gluttons”).
- EGG YOLKS, 3
- SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
- VANILLA ESSENCE, 4 drops
- TRIFLE SPONGES, 1 packet
- AMARETTI BISCUITS, 10
- STRONG COFFEE, cold, 1 cup
- COFFEE LIQUEUR, or AMARETTO, or MARSALA, 3 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE, 2 tubs
- COCOA POWDER, a quantity
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla essence.
- Add the Mascarpone cheese and mix well together.
- Mix the coffee and the liqueur.
- Line the bottom of a small lassgne-type dish with the trifle sponges.
- Pour the coffee mixture and the crushed Amaretti biscuits over the trifle sponges.
- Leave to soak in for a few minutes, then press the sponges until they form a layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the Mascarpone cheese mixture over the top of this and smooth off.
- Put in the refrigerator to set.
- Approximately 1 hour before you serve it, dust the top of the cheese with cocoa powder.