Mario Batali’s Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Mario Batali is one of the stars of the Food TV Network. This Tiramisu can be served at room temperature but usually it’s served chilled.
- STRONG ESPRESSO, 4 ounces (or substitute 2 teaspoons instant coffee in 1/2 cup water)
- ITALIAN BRANDY, 2 ounces
- EGG YOLKS, 4
- SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
- EGG WHITES, 2
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 2 cups (may substitute ricotta or cream cheese)
- LADYFINGERS (SAVOIARDI), 30 small, or 15 broken in half
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 3 ounces, broken into 1/4-inch pieces
- MILK CHOCOLATE, 3 ounces, shaved or grated
- WINE GOBLETS, 6 large
- Mix coffee and brandy together and set aside.
- Over a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture lightens in color and forms ribbons (i.e. halfway to zabaglione). Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold mascarpone into egg yolk mixture one quarter at a time.
- Fold mascarpone mixture into egg whites and set aside.
- Lay savoiardi along edges of wine goblets all the way to the bottom, lining the entire glass (while keeping 6 savoiardi for later use).
- Using a pastry brush, and paint the cookies with the espresso/brandy mixture.
- Fill each goblet one-third full with mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with broken chocolate.
- Lay one savoiardi across center and paint with coffee mixture.
- Fill each goblet with remaining mascarpone mixture, topping each with shaved chocolate.
- Lay one savoiardi in each goblet and paint with espresso mixture.