Jason McDonald’s Lite Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This tiramisu recipe was provided by Jason McDonald and is a significant step towards a healthier tiramisu experience. Using non-fat ingredients and light cream cheese helps cut down on the calories as well as fat content.
- SUGAR, ½ cup
- NONFAT COTTAGE CHEESE, 1 cup
- NONFAT SOUR CREAM, 1 cup
- DARK RUM, 2 tablespoons
- LIGHT CREAM CHEESE, 1 package (8 ounces)
- HOT WATER, 1-1/4 cups
- INSTANT EXPRESSO COFFEE GRANULES, 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon
- LADYFINGERS, 40
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, ½ teaspoon
- Position knife blade in food processor; add first 6 ingredients. Process until smooth; set aside.
- Combine hot water and espresso granules.
- Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
- Quickly dip 20 ladyfinger halves, cut-side down, in espresso (which you’ve mixed in a small bowl).
- Place, dipped side down, into the bottom of a 9″ square baking dish.
- Dip 20 more halves cut-side down into the espresso.
- Arrange dipped side down on top of the first layer.
- Spread 2 cups of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers evenly.
- Repeat procedure with remaining ladyfinger halves, espresso, and cheese mixture.
- Place one toothpick in each corner and one in the center of the Tiramisu (to prevent plastic wrap from sticking to the cheese mixture).
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3-8 hours.
- Remove toothpicks; sprinkle with cocoa.
- Optional: Add fresh or frozen fruit or cinnamon sugar as a garnish.