Good Housekeeping’s Yogurt Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This tiramisu recipe surely merits the Good Housekeeping “Seal of Approval”. Total actual “working” time about 30 minutes. Total preparation time that will elapse before you can put the final dessert into parfait glasses and into the refrigerator will be 3 hours. But don’t worry, about 2-1/2 hours of that time will be spent waiting. Do not use yogurt that contains gelatin; it does not allow the whey to drip from the yogurt. This recipe serves 6.
- COFFEE LOW-FAT YOGURT, 8-ounce container
- VANILLA LOW-FAT YOGURT, 8-ounce container
- WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE, 2 ounces (half of a 4-ounce container)
- CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- SPONGE-TYPE LADYFINGERS, 3- to 4-1/2-ounce package
- COFFEE-FLAVOR LIQUEUR (optional), 2 tbs
- INSTANT ESPRESSO-COFFEE POWDER, 2 tsp
- AMARETTI COOKIES, 3/4 cup (6 pairs of cookies) coarsely crushed
- FROZEN LIGHT WHIPPED TOPPING, 1-1/2 cups thawed (about ¾ of an 8-ounce container)
- UNSWEETENED COCOA for garnish
- In small bowl, with rubber spatula, mix coffee and vanilla yogurts.
- Place large paper coffee filter in small metal strainer set over small bowl.
- Spoon yogurt mixture into coffee filter; place in refrigerator.
- Let yogurt mixture stand 2 hours (whey will drip into bowl and yogurt will be slightly thickened).
- Remove yogurt mixture from refrigerator and discard liquid in bowl.
- Spoon yogurt mixture into bowl.
- Stir in whipped cream cheese and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar until well blended. Set aside.
- Separate ladyfingers into halves.
- Cut each half crosswise in half and place in jelly-roll pan.
- In small bowl, stir together coffee-flavor liqueur, instant espresso-coffee powder, 1/4 cup hot tap water, and 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (if not using coffee-flavor liqueur, increase hot tap water to 1/3 cup and espresso-coffee powder to 1 tablespoon).
- Brush ladyfingers on both sides with espresso mixture.
- In each of six 8-ounce parfait glasses, layer 4 pieces of ladyfinger, 1 scant tablespoon crushed amaretti cookies, 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture, and 1 heaping tablespoon whipped topping.
- Repeat layering one more time.
- Sprinkle with cocoa if you like.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.