Fiona Randall’s “Cheat’s” Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Fiona writes: “I have a very easy recipe for Tiramisu. I have taken what I think are the best bits of various recipes I have tried over the years and this is my favorite combination. It is also the quickest and easiest. I call it ‘Cheat’s Tiramisu’ as you cut a lot of corners and there is very little fuss. I hate fussy recipes, but adore eating the Tiramisu itself. The other very good thing about this recipe is that there aren’t any raw eggs involved. Great for people who shouldn’t be eating raw eggs (eg, pregnant women and the elderly).”
- DOUBLE CREAM (or whipping cream), 500ml
- CUSTARD, fresh ready-made, 500 ml
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 500 ml
- LADYFINGER BISCUITS, 2 c 200 gm
- ESPRESSO, 250 ml
- SUGAR, 1 tbs
- KAHLUA or TIA MARIA, 250 ml (more or less if desired and increase or decrease the amount of espresso to make up for change)
- COCOA or Chocolate Shavings to sprinkle over the top
- Whip the cream, mascarpone cheese and custard in a large bowl until you have a smooth thick creamy mixture.
- Combine the espresso, alcohol and sugar in a jug.
- Pour a small amount of coffee mix into a shallow dish, then dunk the biscuits one at time in the coffee mix.
- Create a layer of biscuits on the bottom of a large dish (I use one that is roughly 30-cm long x 20-cm wide x 5-cm deep).
- Then cover this with a layer of cream.
- Repeat layers two or three times.
- Sprinkle the Tiramisu with cocoa or chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours, or even better, prepare your Tiramisu the day before you want to eat it.