David Rosengarten’s Basic Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe is reportedly from David Rosengarten’s Taste program. Check out the show. It’s highly entertaining, Rosengarten’s a wonderful host, and you’ll learn a lot about food. This recipe makes 12 servings.
- EGGS, 8, with yolks and whites separated
- SUGAR, 1/3 cup
- Mascarpone, 1 pound
- HEAVY CREAM, 1 cup
- ESPRESSO COFFEE, 2 cups cooled
- BRANDY, 2/3 cup
- Ladyfingers, 30
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 2 ounces grated
- COCOA POWDER, Dutch process, sifted, for garnish
- Mix the sugar into the egg yolks, blending well.
- Add a little Mascarpone at a time to the egg yolk mixture, and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set this aside as well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Spread about 1/3 of the cream mixture of a 4-6 quart glass baking dish or serving bowl.
- Place espresso coffee in a large mixing bowl, and combine with the brandy.
- Dip a lady finger into the espresso, lay it in baking dish on cream mixture.
- Top with grated chocolate.
- Continue in this manner, laying lady fingers side by side to cover the bottom.
- Place another 1/3 of cream mixture on top of soaked lady fingers.
- Cover this with another layer of espresso-soaked lady fingers.
- Top with remaining cream mixture and grated chocolate.
- Dust final layer with grated chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Chill 2 hours to set.