Daniel Halpern’s Basic Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This particular recipe replaces half the brandy with Marsala wine. It is presented here, compliments of Daniel Halpern, who posted it on CompuServe’s Cooks Online Forum. This recipe makes 10 servings.
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, ground fine, 6 ounces
- DARK ESPRESSO, cooled, 6 ounces
- BRANDY, 1/2 cup
- MARSALA, 1/2 cup
- LADYFINGERS, dry Italian, 36
- EGGS, 7 with yolks and whites separated
- SUGAR, 3 tablespoons
- MASCARPONE, 1-1/4 pounds
- Mix the coffee with the half of the brandy and half of the Marsala.
- Place half the ladyfingers tightly together on the bottom of a shallow 3- to 4-quart glass serving dish and splash them with half the coffee mixture so they are soaked (but do not leave any unabsorbed liquid in the dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and the remaining brandy and Marsala until the eggs are light and foamy.
- Add the Mascarpone and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites to firm peaks and fold them into the Mascarpone cream.
- Spread half this mixture over the ladyfingers, and then, using half the ground chocolate, cover the cream mixture with an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining ladyfingers with the rest of the coffee mixture and layer them in the dish.
- Then, cover them with the remaining Mascarpone cream, and then with the remaining chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.