Christmas Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This tiramisu recipe was submitted by Jason McDonald. It uses cream cheese and sour cream instead of mascarpone cheese which makes it a bit easier to find the ingredients.
- MASCARPONE or SOFT CREAM CHEESE, 1 lb
- SUGAR, 3/4 cup
- EGG YOKES, 8 large
- SWEET WHITE WINE, 1/2 cup
- ESPRESSO or VERY STRONG BLACK COFFEE, 2 cups
- LADYFINGERS 9 oz., or 14 oz. angel food or sponge cake, thinly sliced
- UNSWEETENED COCOA 1 tbs
- In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the cheese until creamy. Set aside.
- Place a large (about 10-12 cups capacity) metal bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer set on medium high, beat the sugar and egg yolks in the bowl for 1 minute, or until the mixture is well blended.
- With the mixer set on low speed to prevent splashing, gradually add the wine.
- Continue to cook and beat the mixture, increasing the speed to medium and then to high as the mixture thickens.
- Cook and beat for 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and light, scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently with a rubber spatula.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to beat the mixture for 1 minute longer.
- Beat in the cheese just until blended (makes about 5 cups).
- Pour one cup of the espresso into a small shallow bowl that is large enough to hold a ladyfinger if it is placed horizontally in the bowl.
- Quickly dip the rounded top side of each ladyfinger into the espresso. Only the top half of the ladyfingers should be soaked with the espresso. If the ladyfingers get too wet, they will fall apart!
- Add more coffee to the bowl as needed.
- Place the ladyfingers, flat side down, in the bottom of a 13 x 9 glass or ceramic pan. Do not use a metal pan. Form one layer.
- Pour half of the custard mixture over the ladyfingers and spread to cover them.
- Dip the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso (there will be a few remaining ones) and form a second layer over the custard mixture.
- Pour the remaining custard mixture over the ladyfingers and spread to an even layer.
- Place the cocoa in a strainer and dust the top of the Tiramisu evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 hours before serving.