Carol Field’s “No Eggs” Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This tiramisu recipe was apparently adapted from The Italian Baker by Carol Field, who suggests that a slight variation on this particular recipe would be to sprinkle a little strong coffee in addition to the vanilla extract. This recipe eliminates the raw eggs.
- MASCARPONE (or best-quality CREAM CHEESE), 18 ounces
- HEAVY CREAM, 3 cups
- CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR, 1-1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons
- RUM, 8 tablespoons
- VANILLA EXTRACT, 1 teaspoon
- SPONGE CAKE, about 14″ by 8″ cut in half horizontally
- COCOA, unsweetened Dutch process, 2 tablespoons
- SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE, 1/2 ounce
- Press Mascarpone through a wire-mesh sieve into a mixing bowl. Or, process with a few pulses in food processor with steel blade.
- Process until smooth.
- Add the cream, 1-1/2 cups of sugar, half the rum, and the vanilla.
- Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon or process until smooth and creamy.
- Brush each layer of the cake with 2 tablespoons of rum.
- Spread half the cheese mixture on top of one layer of cake.
- Cover with the second cake layer.
- Spread the remaining cheese filling over the top layer.
- Mix the cocoa and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and sieve over the cake.
- Grate the chocolate over the cocoa.