Better Safe Than Sorry Tiramisu
Recipe Type: Dessert
Kevin Twohy writes: “I wanted to take a Tiramisu to school for my class to celebrate my 17th birthday. Mom said it’d be better to have a recipe with cooked eggs and little alcohol. So we tried a few recipes and came up with this combination. My classmates raved about it and I liked the extra flavors of hazelnut and Amaretto, which replaced the bite of the usual brandy. I think it’s the best recipe ever!”
- EGG YOLKS, 8
- SUGAR, 1 cup
- MILK, 1/4 cup
- WHIPPING CREAM, 2 cups
- NEUFACHATEL CHEESE, 8 oz.
- RICOTTA CHEESE, 8 oz.
- HAZELNUT-BLEND COFFEE, 2 cups brewed and cooled
- AMARETTO, 1/4 cup
- LADYFINGERS, 50
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 2-1/2 oz. grated
- COCOA POWDER for sifting
- Whisk egg yolks, half the sugar, and the milk in a 2-quart saucepan until smooth and blended.
- Heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Refrigerate and cool.
- Whip the whipping cream to very stiff peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Mix the cheeses together until well blended.
- Add remaining ½ cup of sugar.
- Stir in the yolk mixture.
- Then fold in the whipping cream.
- Combine the coffee and Amaretto in a large mixing bowl.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the coffee mixture and place on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the chocolate.
- Cover with half of the cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of dipped ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle with chocolate and finish with the cheese mixture.
- Sift cocoa powder over the top and garnish with coarsely grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.