Balducci’s (NYC) Tiramisu
Recipe Type: Dessert
This recipe is reportedly similar to Balducci’s in New York City. It uses the traditional Marsala wine but adds in Brandy and a hint of orange flavor via Triple Sec and Orange extract! Whoa, could be an interesting rendition of the classic.
- LADYFINGERS, 24
- ESPRESSO COFFEE, 2 cups, cooled
- EGGS, 6, separated
- SUGAR, 3 to 6 tablespoons to taste
- MASCARPONE, 1 pound
- MARSALA WINE, 2 tablespoons
- TRIPLE SEC, 2 tablespoons
- BRANDY, 2 tablespoons
- ORANGE EXTRACT, 2 tablespoons
- BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 8 ounces, finely chopped
- Toast ladyfingers in a 375-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Arrange the ladyfingers on a plate and lightly soak them with the cooled espresso. Put half of the soaked ladyfingers in one layer in a rectangular serving dish.
- While the ladyfingers are soaking, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the yolks turn pale in color.
- Add the mascarpone, the liquors, and the extract, and stir gently.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a wire whisk until they are stiff.
- Gently fold the whites into the mascarpone mixture.
- Use half of this mixture to make a layer on top of the ladyfingers in the serving dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate.
- Repeat the procedure with another layer of soaked ladyfingers, the mascarpone mixture, and chocolate.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.