Amy Starenchak’s “Monster” Tiramisu
Recipe Type: Dessert
Amy based her tiramisu recipe off a version from Emeril Lagasse’s Tiramisu, altered it a little, and made a “monster” one for a party. She says, “I doubled it, but not all of the ingredients — like the heavy cream, when doubling the recipe, I only added one more cup of it. And, I kept the egg whites the same.”
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 1 cup
- MARSALA WINE, 2 tablespoons
- EGGS, 3 separated
- SUGAR, 4 tablespoons for yolks, + 3 tablespoons for whites
- SALT, pinch, for egg whites
- HEAVY CREAM, 2 cups (beat with a couple pinches of sugar)
- Combine and blend the Mascarpone and Marsala.
- Combine sugar with the yolks and dissolve in a bowl over boiling water.
- Combine until light in color (about 3 minutes).
- Beat whipping cream with a pinch of sugar until it holds a peak, not too dry.
- Put the egg mixture, hot from the stove (DO NOT WAIT) into the mascarpone mixture.
- Fold 1/3 of the cheese mixture into the whipped cream, then fold in the second 1/3, then the remaining 1/3.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy, then add sugar and beat until stiff.
- Add all whites to the cheese mixture and fold.
- (HeavenlyTiramisu’s note: Amy doesn’t mention LADYFINGERS or coffee, but her cream mixture can be layered with LADYFINGERS soaked with strong coffee.)