A Basic Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
This is a no-frills, basic Tiramisu recipe that is simple to make. It uses poundcake instead of ladyfingers, and calls for a simple sugar syrup that’s easy to make. Makes 12 servings.
- POUNDCAKE, 6 oz. (about half of a 10.75 ounce package), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 8 ounces
- HEAVY CREAM, 1-1/4 cups
- EGGS, 2
- SUGAR, 2/3 cup + 1/4 cup, divided
- UNFLAVORED GELATIN, 1 envelope
- KAHLUA or AMARETTO, 6 tablespoons
- VANILLA, 1/4 teaspoon
- UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER (optional)
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM (optional)
- SHAVED CHOCOLATE for decorating
- Divide cake pieces evenly among 12 1/2-cup capacity custard cups; set aside.
- In bowl with mixer at high speed beat cheese with heavy cream until mixture falls from spatula in thick ribbon, about 1 minute; set aside.
- In another bowl with mixer at high speed beat eggs until fluffy, 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in pot over high heat, combine 2/3 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Cook until sugar dissolves and temperature reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit on candy thermometer.
- Gradually beat the boiling sugar syrup into beaten eggs.
- Continue beating until slightly cooled, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of water with gelatin; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a small pot over high heat, combine 1/2 cup water with remaining sugar; bring to a boil.
- Cook until sugar dissolves, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in liqueur, vanilla and reserved gelatin until gelatin dissolves.
- Fold 3/4 of the liqueur mixture into the egg mixture; fold in the cheese mixture.
- Drizzle the remaining liqueur mixture over the cake in thecustard cups, dividing the cheese mixture evenly among the cups.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Garnish each with sprinkling of cocoa, whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.